PREVIOUS | NEXT
Workflow enables you to create email templates that you can customize and later use with email notifications on workflow actions. See Notifications for more information.
There are two types of email templates:
- System: Default email templates for all workflow actions.
- Custom: Custom email templates that you can configure on a workflow action.
Configure Email Templates
[Back to top]
To configure an email template, click New Email Template, or:
- Open an existing email template by clicking on the template name, or by selecting the Edit action. Workflow opens the Email Templates Editor.
- Complete or update the following form fields as necessary.
Name: Enter a name.
: A unique identifier, automatically generated when you name an object. You can use this identifier to reference an object in scripts, templates, tags, and through the API. You can change the System ID by selecting the pencil icon. Use caution when changing the ID as it can affect existing scripts associated with the object. For more information, see System ID
- Email Subject: Enter a description that will appear in the email subject line.
- Email from: Enter the email address of the sender that will serve as the reply-to address for recipients.
- Email from text: Enter a name that will appear in the From field of an email.
- Enter your HTML code in the Email Body section. See Email Template Example to view the code of a sample template. See Email Template Tags for more information on using tags in your code.
Important: You need to include styles in your HTML code using the <style></style> syntax. Email templates do not support cascading style sheets (CSS).
- Click Preview to preview the result of your HTML code, then click Close to exit the preview window.
Save, revert, or cancel your changes, using the buttons provided.
Manage Email Templates
[Back to top]
Go to Setup > Case Management > Email Templates to access the configuration workspace where you can create or edit a new email template.
You can sort the list of existing email templates in ascending or descending order by clicking a header label or Sort icon above the list. You can also do a simple search by entering a keyword in the Search field, or filter by Type, Name, and Email Body properties using the Advanced Search link.
You can perform these actions on an existing template, depending on the template type:
Edit: Edit the object properties.
Details: See the record creation and update details.
- Show where used: Displays the workflows and actions where the email template is used. This action only displays on Custom type templates.
: Export data for backup or to import into another tenant. A Workflow Backup file (WFB) downloads with your project. You can then import the file into another tenant using the Migration Manager.
Delete: Enables you to delete an existing Custom type template. You cannot delete a Default or System type template and you cannot undo this action. You can use the Download Data action to save a backup of the template that you can later use to reload the template.
Note: The Delete action only appears for custom templates. You cannot delete a system template.
We also provide these buttons on the Email Templates Editor, depending on whether you are adding or editing a custom or system email template:
- Back: Returns you to the Email Templates workspace.
- Preview: Displays a preview of the email body.
- Reset to Default: Reverts the Email Subject and Email body fields to default settings on system email templates.
- Submit: Saves your changes and returns you to the Email Templates workspace when you edit a new email template.
- Update: Saves your changes and returns you to the Email Templates workspace when you edit any email template.
- Quick Save: Saves your changes and keeps the Email Templates Editor open for additional editing.